Part 1 of 2 : 9 Powerful Steps to Help You Reinvent Yourself and Achieve Your Greatest Potential
Having thoroughly thought-out and well-planned goals is the key to your greatest potential. Lets go through the step-by-step specifics in this powerful article.
Firstly, you must have goals in order to reinvent yourself. That is the most important step. However, remember that goals without a strategy are just like a dream and remain in fantasy-land. A lot of people daydream and that is where their goals take refuge… in a dream. The fear of failure keeps them inactive and paralysed.
Secondly, you need a solid plan for your goals. A plan drives your objectives from fantasy to reality. Thirdly, its time to take action. This is the part where most people fail to show up.
- Only 3% of the student graduates had written goals and plans.
- 13% had goals, but not in writing.
- A massive 84% had no definite goals at all.
A decade later, the students of that class were questioned again.
- The 13% of the class who had goals, but not in writing were earning twice as much as the 84% who had no goals at all.
- The 3% who had clear, written goals were earning, on average, 10 times as much as the other 97%
Lets look at the 9 powerful steps to help you reinvent yourself and reach your potential.
Step1: Decide which areas of your life need reinvention
This is a very crucial step. It requires your full attention. You are reading this article because you acknowledge that a change is clearly needed. Therefore, approach it with mindfulness. Sit quietly and consider the following 4 most important aspects of your life:
- Your career – This includes; work, education, skills, financial freedom, self-sufficiency and so on.
- Your health and wellness – This is about your physical health, your mental and emotional well-being and your general well being.
- Your relationships – Important here is your relationship with family, friends, colleagues, interaction with other people and so on.
- Your Spirituality – This is where you focus on your values, who you are, your purpose, what you standing for and what you want to contribute to the world.
Now, one-by-one, look at all the points above, from each category decided what needs your attention. Write these down. Remember that you need to be strong in all 4 elements mentioned above. You can’t be strong in one and weak in another.
Think of a car, it needs all of its four wheels in order to function properly. It can’t have only two good front wheels and then attempt to move forward seamlessly. Likewise, you need to give all of them the attention they deserve in order to reach your greatest potential.
Step 2: Have a solid goal plan
Before you can have an actionable plan you need to carryout an exercise first. With your list from step 1 above at hand, ask your self the following questions:
- What stands in your way from reaching these goals?
- Do you know other people who have achieved the same goals? How did they do it? It could be a different person for each goal category.
- What have you tried that has not worked on these goals?
- What could you do better this time?
- What else can you do?
- Who can help you with these goals?
- Do you need to have new skills?
- Do you need to join a club, group or network?
- Do you need to enroll in a course?
- Do you need a 2 another job?
- Do you need a different job?
- How much time it would take?
- How much money is needed?
- What are the possible obstacles?
Develop a plan for each goal taking the questions above in consideration. In other words, conduct a swot analysis for each goal. Doing this will help you have a better goal plan. One that is better equipped for unforeseen setbacks.
Step 3: Have an indestructible action plan
Your action plan should be divided into four categories
- Daily plan
- Weekly plan
- Monthly plan and
- Yearly plan (remember this is a lifestyle not a temporal resolution)
According to the University of Kent –Action Planning- “An action planning is a process which will help you to focus your ideas and to decide what steps you need to take to achieve particular goals that you may have. It is a statement of what you want to achieve over a given period of time.”
This sounds like a lot of work. In the contrary. It keeps you organised and it saves you time. It also keeps you focused and on the right path to reinventing yourself. Furthermore, it keeps you motivated!
Therefore from your lists from step 1 & 2, clearly jot down what needs to be done, who will help you, what you need to acquire, how you will do it, where you need to go and by when you will accomplish it. Divide these into daily, weekly, monthly and yearly action plans.
Step 4: Acquire knowledge: attend courses, workshops, read books, have a mentor and have a hobby
This is a must! In whatever area of your life that needs re-charging, you need to learn from those who have been where you are now. You will also teach those coming behind you.
You should now have a plan that is so clear and so precise that you will not have problem deciding what knowledge you need in order to follow your dreams. It is also very helpful to know someone that inspires you. You may or may not know this person directly, but keep them close. You can do this by either reading their books or blogs, listening to their podposts or just simply remembering their encouraging story.
Part 2 of this article: 9 Powerful steps to help you reinvent yourself and achieve your greatest potential, will follow soon. Stay tuned
I hope you enjoyed the article. Please feel free to comment in the comment section.
I see you,